“Healing is restoring the body’s natural rhythms”
Somatic Experiencing (SE) is a naturalistic approach to the healing of trauma developed by Dr. Peter Levine. I have received extensive training with the Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute and have received the SEP certificate (somatic experiencing practitioner). Components of SE are incorporated into my therapeutic approach. Somatic Experiencing can increase tolerance for difficult body sensations and emotions while encouraging body awareness and regulation. Please contact me for further questions or to schedule a free phone consultation.
WHAT IS SE?
- SE employs awareness of body sensation to help people heal.
- SE’s guidance of the bodily “felt sense,” allows the highly aroused survival energies to be safely experienced and gradually discharged.
- SE “titrates” experience (breaks down into small, incremental steps), supporting a slower and gentler process of exploration.
WHAT CAN BE BENEFITS OF SE?
- Increase confidence that you can handle intense emotions
- Learn skills to strengthen your capacity for emotion regulation
- Enhance your sense of security and vitality
- Relief of traumatic stress symptoms
- Strengthen your connection with the body’s natural resources of wisdom and power
- Increase the frequency of feeling calm, relaxed and stable in daily life
Levine, P. (1997). Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma. Berkeley, CA: North Atlantic Books.Levine, P. and. Kline, M. (2007). Trauma Through A Child’s Eyes: Awakening the Ordinary Miracle of Healing. Berkeley, CA: North Atlantic Books.Levine, P. (2010). In an UnspokenVoice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness. Berkeley, CA: North Atlantic Books.
For more references and information about Somatic Experiencing please visit this website.